Distributed Data Management
|Lecturer:||Dr. Eike Schallehn|
- The exam will take place as a written exam. Registration using the LSF/HISQUIS system is required according to the general procedures.
- Participation in the lecture and in the exercise is required.
- Exercises are delayed and will now start in the 4th week of the lecture period, i.e. the first will be on Nov 2nd and Nov 7th
- The lecture starts in the first week of the teaching period.
- Overview and classification of distributed data management (distributed DBMS, parallel DBMS, fedrated DBMS, P2P)
- Distributed DBMS: architecture, distribution design, distributed query processing and optimization, distributed transactions, and transactional replication
- Parallel DBMS: fundamentals of parallel processing, types of parallelization in DBMS, parallel query processing.
Lecture handouts will be made available here over the course of the lecture.
- Handout Part 1: Introduction
- Handout Part 2: DDBS Foundations and Design
- Handout Part 3: DDBS Query Processing
- Handout Part 4: Distributed Transaction Processing
Exercise sheets will be made available here over the course of the lecture.
- 01_exercise: Recapitulation
- 02_exercise: Multi-Processor DBMS
- 03_exercise: Foundations
- 04_exercise: Fragmentation
- 05_exercise: Optimal Fragmentation
- 06_exercise: Allocation and Replication
- 07_exercise: Query Processing I
- 08_exercise: Query Processing II
- 09_exercise: Cost-based Optimization
- 10_exercise: TXN Processing I
- 11_exercise: TXN Processing II
Literature references and recommended readings are listed in the lecture handouts.